Thursday, February 25, 2016

SMART Goal Setting

Ok, I've got my vision and mission statement...now what?  My daughter got to teach a class on goal setting, so we created this handout (modified from business language to language that works for youth).

Now you take a look at your vision, your mission, your purpose and determine what you can do TODAY, this week, this month to take you closer to your goal.  There are a lot of great resources for goal setting.

Here are the steps to creating SMART goals:

S.M.A.R.T. Goals!
Specific: State exactly what you want to accomplish (when, why, how, who).
Measurable: How will you show and measure how much of your goal you met?
Achievable: Stretch yourself to do hard things, but make it something you can do.  Use action verbs.
Relevant: How is the goal important to your jobs and roles in life?  How does it fit your life mission and goals?
Time-Bound: Set 1 or more target dates to complete your goal, or smaller steps of your goal. 

Always write down your goals and put them somewhere to remind you.


2 comments:

Angela Johnson said...

Hi. I don't think this is the spot where I should say this but thank you for your presentation at the latter day learning conference. I wanted to ask if you have your children read like dragons they did fight or if it was just for you?

Mom 4 Zion said...

Hi Angela!
You are so welcome. I have not had my children read "Like Dragons They Did Fight" but we do read passages together (I read them aloud or ask for a helper) and teach out of it. I'm completing my Eternal Warriors Mentor Training in a few weeks, and I'm sure I'll be using it even more. I have a couple of children who we may read it with when they are youth. Be prayerful, you'll know what to do.